APPOINTMENTS WILL BE HANDLED AT THE WEST DOOR OF THE COURTHOUSE ONLY AND OUTSIDE THE FRONT DOOR OF THE ANNEX. YOU ARE TO CALL AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH OFFICES.
Courthouse entrances will be unlocked on regularly scheduled meeting dates from 8:30 am until the conclusion of all scheduled meetings. Interior offices will continue to be closed to the public.
WE ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO FOLLOW THE CDC FOR ALL RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO HANDLE COVID-19, INCLUDING SOCIAL DISTANCING AND REGULAR HAND WASHING.
THE MARSHALL COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND ANNEX WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC EFFECTIVE 12:01 A.M. MARCH 26, 2020. TO CONDUCT EMERGENCY BUSINESS IS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Marshall County History (A Brief Overview of Our Heritage)
Marshall County is a county located on the south central border of Oklahoma. As of the 2010 census, the population was 15,840. Its county seat is Madill. The county was created at statehood in 1907 from the former Pickens County of the Chickasaw Nation. It was named to honor the maiden name of the mother of George Henshaw, a member of the 1906 Oklahoma Constitutional Convention. The county and its cities are part of the Texaoma region.
The area covered by Marshall County was part of the territory set aside by the U.S. government for resettlement of the Choctaw tribe and the closely related Chickasaw tribe from their lands in the southeastern United States. The Chickasaws began relocating to this area in 1837. The U.S. Army built Fort Washita in 1842 to protect the new arrivals from raids by other tribes. In 1857, the Chickasaw Nation formally separated from the Choctaw Nation. This area became part of Pickens County in the Chickasaw Nation.
Railroads came to the present-day Marshall County in 1901, when the St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway (acquired shortly after by the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway), known as the Frisco, constructed a north-south line. The following year, the St. Louis, San Francisco and New Orleans Railroad (formerly the Arkansas and Choctaw Railway) laid tracks from east to west through the area. This line was sold to the Frisco in 1907. The State of Oklahoma relocated part of this line in 1941 to make way for the creation of Lake Texoma. more...